December 15, 2014

Week 12


This week we did a lot of troubleshooting. We finally got the Bluetooth to work and it is saving us tons of time. We fine tuned our missions and worked on adding a new one. We hope to have 3 more added by our regional.

For the project we set up a new Minecraft scene to record and will use green screen to add a flag to the background. The video looks good so far. We are having a workshop at our school next week and we are preparing like crazy for it. Hopefully we will do well and teach them a lot.

- Josh

(Edit by Mrs. B) - The team presented their project for the Lancaster Historical Society last week and came away with some very good feedback. We plan to present to them again once the project is finalized. 

Lots of changes to the programming in the last 2 weeks. The robot is much more consistent now and will be even better once the 3rd color sensor is delivered. This year's robot game has proven itself to be quite a challenge.

December 3, 2014

Then And Now - Theo

 
Nature's Fury - 2013
 
 
World Class - 2014

December 2, 2014

Lansdale Scrimmage


Our first competition went somewhat well. The robot went crazy as soon as we got there, as usual. We fixed it to the best of our ability and added another mission to do. Our robot score was tied for 4th place out of 39 teams, which is great! The Posies, a team that we shared a room with last year, got first place! We made sure to congratulate them and compliment their creative robot design. We got three callbacks as well: one for robot design, one for programming, and one for the project. We didn’t win any awards but it was pretty cool to get called three times. We have a lot of work to do and a lot of improvements to make for our qualifying tournament, but we are determined.

(Edit by Mrs. B) The team did very well at the scrimmage. Getting 3 call backs was huge and I couldn't be more proud. I love seeing the boys excited about the project and not spending all of their energy on just the robot game. It really showed in the judging.


November 17, 2014

November 16, 2014

Week 11


This week we made a new attachment to replace the "chicken foot." As cool as the chicken foot looked, it only worked for one mission. The new attachment can shoot the ball for the Sports mission, pick up the Reverse Engineering basket and grab the loop from the Using The Right Senses mission.

Our biggest issue has been the slippery mat. We have more wheel slippage than we've ever experienced before. The autocorrect in the move block adds the correction back in at random moments and our programs have not been consistent. To combat the slipping, we tweaked the speed of the robot to help avoid quick takeoffs. We also added a rotation sensor reset and a coast block to our move and turn myblocks. This seems to have fixed the random autocorrect that has been frustrating us all season. Now that the robot is running more consistently, we can concentrate on finishing the programming.

The project script is just about done. Just a few more minor tweaks are needed before the competition this Saturday. By the way, the scrimmage at Lansdale is THIS Saturday! We are meeting 4 times this week to give us more time to get ready.

Wish us luck,
Josh


November 13, 2014

Then And Now - Ben


Senior Solutions - 2012

 
World Class - 2014

November 11, 2014

Week 10


We are less than 2 weeks until our scrimmage at Lansdale, PA. The robot is back together and driving straighter than before. The script for our presentation is still only half written and needs to be finished ASAP. The coach added extra meetings on Tuesdays to help give us time to get ready.

At our last meeting we had visitors. It was a family who want to start their own team next year. It went well and we got a lot accomplished while teaching them the basics of what they need to know. After they left all heck broke loose. We had gotten a lot of programming done but forgot to save it and somehow the file got corrupted. We had to start back from where we were at the beginning of the meeting! We have a lot of work to do to fix the damage. Overall the meeting was ... Interesting.

This is the orange mustache Tyler built for the Apprentice mission It's awesome!



Josh

November 5, 2014

Disaster... or is it?


This is what happens when you leave the robot hanging precariously off the edge of the storage table.



As bad as it may look, it is a good opportunity for the boys to match up the drive motors. They were having a terrible time with unreliable turns but didn't want to take the robot apart so close to a tournament. Now they can test all of the motors and choose the pair that matches the best. In the end I think they will have a better bot.

Mrs. B.

November 4, 2014

November 3, 2014

Week 9


We made a lot of progress this week. Tyler and Theo started writing the script for the presentation. They used the statistics from our research of Minecraft and plan to add in info about kinesthetic learning and why our game will help retain facts. Our video demonstration of the game probably won't be ready by the scrimmage although everything else should be ready.

Patrick redid the color square-up myblock so we can choose the color we want to square up to. At first we had to type in the number associated with the color but it was a pain to remember which one was which. Now it lets us type the word red, black or green and the myblock converts it to the number for us.

We finally have a few missions programmed. The next 5 meetings are going to be very stressful while we try to get ready for our first competition, a scrimmage in Lansdale, PA. We had the high robot score last year and hope to keep the streak going. Now back to work!

Josh